There are a number of useful websites out there focused on different aspects of nursing and the training it requires. Below is a short list of some of the biggest ones.
One of the best and most comprehensive resources out there is a website called DiscoverNursing, created by Johnson & Johnson. This site has all sorts of information on different nursing careers, scholarships, and so on. We also have some brief advice on financial aid that might be helpful, and each year we offer several nursing scholarships - the application period typically runs from March 1st to April 15th.
Please let us know if there are other sites you think we should include here. You can either use the "feedback" tab, or send us an email. Enjoy!
- The Nursing Shortage: Solutions For The Short and Long Term - A good article on approaches that should be taken by employers and other stakeholders to ensure an adequate supply of trained registered nurses.
- Education for Professional Nursing Practice: Looking Backward into the Future - This is an interesting background piece on the debate over whether the Associate degree or the Bachelors degree should be the base level requirement for professional nursing practice.
- The Relevance of Associate Degree Nursing Education: Past, Present Future - This is an interesting paper on the continuing importance of Associate Degree preparation.
- At the Crossroads: We Must Blend the CNS and NP Roles - An interesting piece on the ANA website advocating the combination of the Clinical Nurse Specialist and Nurse Practitioner specialties.
- Advanced Practice Psychiatric Nursing: the Need For a Blended Role - Another good article about NP versus CNS, this time in the context of Psychiatric/Mental Health Nursing.
- Education for Professional Nursing Practice: Looking Backward into the Future - This is an interesting paper on the history of the debate over ADN versus BSN as the entry requirement for professional nursing.
- Education for Entry into Nursing Practice: Revisited for the 21st Century - Another paper on the same topic, but with more of a present day focus.
Nursing Publications and Nursing News
- Nurse.com / NurseWeek - One of the top nursing websites. Extensive news section.
- ADVANCE for Nurses - The online home of ADVANCE for Nurses magazine.
- RNWeb - The online home of RN Magazine.
- AllNurses.com - Well attended forum/community site for nurses.
- ADVANCE for Nurse Practitioners - A publication focused on the Nurse Practitioner field. Check out the blog section too.
- Nursing Management - A magazine for nurse leaders. More focused on research than news reporting.
- Nursing Cartoons - Something a little more light-hearted.
Accrediting Agencies and Professional Associations
- NLNAC - National League for Nursing Accrediting Commission
- CCNE - Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education
- ANA - American Nurses Association
- AANP - American Academy of Nurse Practitioners
- ACNM - American College of Nurse-Midwives
- MANA - Midwives Alliance of North America
- NACPM - National Association of Certified Professional Midwives
- AANA - American Association of Nurse Anesthetists
- ASPAN - American Society of PeriAnesthesia Nurses
- NACNS - National Association of Clinical Nurse Specialists
- AAMN - American Assembly for Men in Nursing
- NNBA - National Nurses in Business Association
- NANDA International (NANDA-I) - works on standardizing nursing diagnostic terminology
- AFN - American Forensic Nurses